Thursday, July 10, 2014

Tex-Mex Stroganoff

Hello there, again, Sew Crafty Angel Readers! It’s me, Christie with A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures again to bring you yet another tasty post. If you like what you see, then make sure to stop by and read some more!


A Kitchen Hoors Adventures | Tex-Mex Beef Stroganoff



I’m sitting there thinking, as one often does, of ways to reduce my food waste. In particular, dairy food waste. The containers of fat free sour cream are never small and I usually don’t have a ton of ideas to use them up before they go bad.

There. I’ve said it. I keep sour cream in my fridge, sometimes for so long that it gets more sour than it already is or *gasp* molds. *hangs head in shame*

So, I was sitting there trying to figure out how to rectify this situation and was thinking of all the things I could use the sour cream for. Creamy cool sour cream really does deserve something tasty and flavorful. Then this popped into my head! Tex-Mex food ALMOST ALWAYS requires sour cream, so this Tex-Mex Stroganoff was a no brainer, to me, at least.


A Kitchen Hoors Adventures | Tex-Mex Beef Stroganoff


I didn’t want to make just a regular old stroganoff. Been there. Done that. I’ve made an Easy Chicken Stroganoff and a Portobello Stroganoff on my blog. There’s a beef one, but it’s not my recipe. Hm….now there’s an idea.

Anyway.

I wanted to do something different with the stroganoff. I wanted the creamy tastiness of the stroganoff sauce, but with a twist. And I think this is a pretty good twist.


A Kitchen Hoors Adventures | Tex-Mex Beef Stroganoff


Just look at that creamy, spicy, goodness on top of those noodles. Okay. You can stop licking the screen now! It’s is just that; creamy, spicy, delicious goodness over noodles. Since this was a Saturday meal, I was disappointed that I wouldn’t get this for lunch the next day. That just means that I have to make it again.

But, it was a quick and easy meal. Yes, quick and easy meals are 5 nights a week; Monday through Thursday and Saturday. If I don’t have a quick and easy meal on Saturday, then we order out. That’s no good for me and this kitchentervention that I’m on. Ordering in means fat and protein and just no healthy goodness. So, if I can prevent that with deliciousness that is THIS meal, then that only makes me healthier.


A Kitchen Hoors Adventures | Tex-Mex Beef Stroganoff


And did I mention that this was eye of round, which is usually in my markdown section or at least an inexpensive cut of meat? A pan sear and then a slight simmer in the sauce and it’s a tasty, INEXPENSIVE, meal, to boot! I know there are not many that know what to do with sliced eye of round steaks. Eye of round roast, yes, but steaks? Not so much. I keep my eye out for this cut because not only is it perfect for this type of meal, but it’s also good for slow cooker meals, too! It’s a win/win!

I hope I have entertained you at least a minute, my Sew Crafty Angel Readers. If so, please do drop by and hopefully follow me by any and all social medias. I’d also like to thank Angel for allowing me to contribute to her blog. She truly is an ANGEL!




Tex-Mex Beef Stroganoff

A Kitchen Hoors Adventures
A Kitchen Hoors Adventures | Tex-Mex Beef Stroganoff
This Tex-Mex twist on traditional stroganoff is delicious!! The beef is simmered in a chipotle and salsa sauce before the sour cream is added. It’s truly tasty!




 cdxx

Ingredients

  • 1 pound eye of round, trimmed and thinly sliced
  • 1 cup thinly sliced
  • 2 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 14 ounces fire-roasted tomatoes
  • 4 ounces canned green chiles
  • 1 cup fat free beef broth
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 cup chipotle salsa
  • 1/3 cup fat free sour cream
  • 8 ounces egg noodles
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions

Instructions

  1. Heat a skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Brown meat, remove from pan, and set aside.
  2. Return the pan to the heat and coat with cooking spray. Sauté onions until tender. Add mushrooms and cook until they release their juices. Return the beef to the pan with the canned tomatoes and chiles.
  3. Combine the beef broth with the cornstarch. Add to the pan along with the chili powder, cumin, onion powder, granulated garlic and dried oregano. Bring to a boil simmer until thickened.
  4. Stir in the salsa and cook until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream.
  5. Divide the noodles evenly between four plates. Top with 1 1/2 cups beef mixture and garnish with green onions.


PEP Counts:

MilkVegFruitBreadMeatFat
0204 ¾ 42


Click below to enter our Giveaway




2 comments:

  1. Hi there! This looks like a great recipe for a summer supper. Thanks for sharing! I'm working on more updates to my blog this weekend and hope to have things reorganized over there by next week's Wednesday party ;o) Have a great weekend! Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing - another fantastic recipe Christie!

    ReplyDelete